Saturday, April 22, 2023 — The Good Times
Earth Day 2023: Invest in Our Planet
April 22 is Earth Day. According to the Earth Day website, this day “marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.” The theme of #EarthDay this year is “Invest in Our Planet”.
Today is the perfect occasion to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The Old Farmer’s Almanac has these suggestions to celebrate Earth Day:
- Support our pollinators – Bring native bees and other pollinating creatures to green spaces.
- Clean up plastic in your neighborhood or local park – Go on a walk with a trash bag and help to clean up any plastic that you find.
- Swap out your kitchen and household products – Adopt biodegradable products that do not use chemicals or plastics (for instance “If You Care” articles).
- Plant a tree – Talk to your local government about planting more trees and native garden beds in public spaces, or go out and plant a tree yourself.
- Use wildflowers and native plants – Grow native plants to attract pollinators and birds.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle – If you have a garden, reuse, recycle, or return old plastic pots and trays, and plant biodegradable pots right into the ground.
- Stop pesticides and chemicals in the garden – Control pests without chemicals and attract beneficial insects.
- Conserve water – Harvest rainwater from the sky and your roof and gutters with a rain barrel.
- Think about your diet – Avoid wasting food, and care about your “foodprint,” the result of everything it takes to get your food from the farm to your plate.
- Get kids involved – Pass down a love of nature and plants to kids.
Details on how to accomplish these activities can be found on The Old Farmer’s Almanac website. Happy Earth Day 2023!